Produce Procurement Specialist NYCFull Time
Natoora is committed to revolutionizing the supply of fruit and we have spent over ten years connecting capital cities with flavors that would otherwise be lost forever.
We go to great lengths to source unique varieties of produce selected for their incredible flavor and build close relationships with growers who share our philosophy, delivering truly seasonal produce to the world’s finest chefs in over 600 restaurants in London, New York and Paris.
We also actively seek to re-educate the way people think about and consume fruit & vegetables. Our goal is to create a more meaningful and responsible food system that preserves seed varieties, growing techniques and traditions that are threatened by modern industrial farming and supermarket culture.
About the job
Named a Fast Track 100 Company by the Sunday Times and one of Europe’s Fastest Growing companies by the Financial Times, having successfully launched in New York in 2017, we are looking for a Produce Procurement Specialist based in our Brooklyn office.
The US market is one of our key strategic priorities and therefore you will be integral to our success. With solid experience in fresh produce, you will be instrumental in the development of a unique procurement network.
Reporting to the Head of Product, you will be part of one of the most exciting and innovative companies in our sector, delivering significant positive impact to our society.
This highly visible role will be instrumental in achieving our purpose: revolutionizing our food system through our commitment to operational excellence and produce flavor.
- Procure fresh produce for distribution, including grower recruitment, ordering, logistic planning, managing inventory and QC functions
- Execute daily buying activities and support weekly and seasonal buying strategies
- Develop and maintain relationships with growers to highest quality produce at an appropriate cost
- Analyze sales and inventory data daily to maintain optimal supply and ensure orders are delivered on-time and in-full
- Negotiate pricing as required to ensure targeted margins
- Perform and report product QC results and resolve quality issues, including managing rejections and refunds/credits
- Resolve all issues related to invoicing, product quality, delivery coordination and ensure all procurement data is all up-to-date
- Ensure comparable product timely replacement in case of shortages
- Perform farm/farmer market visits and report new product offering activity
- Contribute with content creation for our seasonal news
- Develop and maintain a regional seasonal calendar
- Monitor product packaging to ensure product integrity
- Be willing and legally able to drive medium-size refrigerated vehicle
- Able to perform farm/farmer market pick-ups and local deliveries
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Our ideal candidate is super passionate about fresh produce, incredibly hard working and solution-driven, understands the need to be hands-on with product in order to deliver an outstanding customer experience, and has the ability to grow into a management role. As such, our successful candidate will have the following traits:
- 1-2 years produce purchasing/procurement experience or college-degree in a related field (culinary arts, agriculture, food science/studies, supply chain)
- Passion for high-quality produce and ecological agriculture.
- Capacity to learn how to execute daily, weekly and seasonal produce procurement strategies.
- Strong decision maker and able to react quickly
- Understanding of produce terminology and industry standards a plus
- The curiosity to learn and the thirst for growth
- Understanding of produce industry standards, experience in fresh produce and knowledge of the local food system
- A sophisticated eye and palate for outstanding produce quality and flavor
- Established relationships with CA farms a plus but not required
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills (both written and oral)
- Detail-oriented and creative problem-solver, even when under pressure
- Computer savvy, proficient in Microsoft Office, priority on Excel
- Candidates will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the US
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
A competitive salary, excellent training and the opportunity to create a career as you are part of a team at the onset of a brand new region for Natoora.
At Natoora we pride ourselves in offering our staff a dynamic and supportive working environment.
Email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why you want to join the team.